Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Decade of Non Intention

This morning I went out for my typical bout of exercise. As I was walking briskly I began reflecting on the last decade (analysis is a good thing and really, a chief attribute for any leader). I'm still baffled by writing 2010. It's as if someone put a sock in my hand as I attempt to write the numbers. I fumble as if I have too many things in my hand.

When January 1, 2010 came along for some reason it escaped me that a new decade was underfoot. Instead I looked at it as another year come around and time to set goals, make resolutions and create a more solid footing than the year before.

As I sat reading my friend Jane's blog about goal setting for 2010, she recapped where she was 10 years ago and compared it to where she is now. It hit me strongly...hey, Ms. Weinberg, you are in a new decade. Duh? Didn't I realize a new decade had come upon me? Clearly not. What was even more startling, as I began journaling this morning, was to realize how completely different life has looked over the last ten years. 1990-2000 was a much different decade than 2000-2010. It was equally startling to realize how my own leadership has morphed and evolved over the last decade - personally and professionally.

Here are some highlights and as you read them, consider your own "decade-lights":
1990-2000:
-rose through the corporate ranks to be a high powered executive at Disney
-created and expanded public relations departments at three major international companies
-launched four cable networks
-moved to California to work for Disney
-began traveling the world
-became an amateur photographer
-married and divorced
-father passed away

2000-2009:
-launched my own business (2000)
-left corporate America as an executive and became a consultant
-was trained by CoachU (one of the first accredited global coaching schools)
-evolved my career from corporate media executive to entrepreneur, consultant, executive coach and author
-traveled the world
-worked in three countries abroad
-Packed up, put all my stuff in storage and moved to live and work in Uganda
-launched a photography website which gives back to global children non profits
-became a "parent" to a young girl in Uganda and I provide for her education
-discovered love anew
-became an author
-coached thousands of executives on leadership and how to get things done
-spearheaded a global project overseeing over 1,000 volunteers
-began living a spiritual life


And surely there was more...Reflection is a beautiful thing. I would encourage you to create your own "decade-lights" and notice how far you have come, the choices you made, the strengths you developed and what you desire for the next decade.

With all these memories I thought, "did I laugh a lot? Did I have fun or was I so caught up in the stress that I didn't realize the joy in it all with so much gratitude." Without appreciation and laughter, you don't really have much.

I didn't create intentions in the past for the next decade to come. It's a practice I do at the beginning of each year and have found it invaluable to setting the course for the year ahead. In all of this analysis, I point my compass for the following intention for the next 10 years: lead, love, laugh...serve and surrender.

What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment